Hi, everyone!
I thought it would be fun to post about what I'm planting right now. Probably no one will read this but me, so if anything, it will be a good way to track my gardening because honestly, I am really bad at writing down what I plant and when. Sometimes I don't even know what I planted until the seedling sprouts and I recognize it. But with this last planting, that most likely is my last large seed sowing for the season, I did jot it down in a crude way 👉I'd say about 25% of what I plant each year around this time is an experiment to see if I can grow another crop before the frost sets in and the rest are tried and true. I have found that 50% of gardening is experimentation. Sometimes you win and more often you lose. 😂
So, let's see. I planted beets, green onions, three types of lettuce, and parsnips. I know these should probably work. I've never planted parsnips before, so that should be interesting. Here's exactly what I planted:
I would like to plant some more radishes, but those grow so quickly I can do it later. I should get some more carrots out there to freeze for the winter, but then again the prospect of picking, washing, cutting, blanching and freezing seems daunting and frankly, unrealistic.
My experiment crop this time was zucchini. I am having a terrible time this summer with squash bugs, so my zucchini is not as prolific as years past. I thought it would be interesting to see if I can grow another crop of zucchini before it gets too cold. For the past ten years or so, our fall has been quite mild, so if it holds true for this year, it should work. If not, all I really lost was a few seeds! I'll keep this blog updated with the results.
xo, Gina
No comments:
Post a Comment